Study abroad programs are becoming increasingly popular as students try to prepare for a global job market. Volunteering abroad also provides students with opportunities to burnish their college application and gives them materials for essays. Before embarking on one of these endeavors, however, getting a passport is a necessity. Students requiring passport renewal services should be aware of the following guidelines.


Renewing by Mail


In order to be eligible to renew by mail, students must meet all of the following qualifications:


He or she must have their current passport in their possession, and it must not be damaged or mutilated.

Their current passport must have been issued after their 16th birthday.

If the student’s name has changed since the last passport was issued, he or she must be able to provide legal documentation to support the name change.


Students meeting these qualifications can renew by mail by sending in a completed copy of passport renewal application form DSD-82, along with their old passport, documentation to support any name change requests and the appropriate fees.


Renewing in Person


Most students will probably be required to renew in person at a passport acceptance facility, like a post office or library. As long as the expiring passport has not been lost, damaged or mutilated, the student can bring the following to the acceptance facility to renew:


The old passport

A photocopy of the old passport

One passport photo

Money to pay the required fees (check with the facility to see what kind of payment methods they’ll take.

Minors will also need to apply with both parents present to demonstrate parental consent, or apply with one parent present and notarized written parental consent from the other parent. Parents must bring proof of relationship to the child (like a birth certificate or adoption decree).


If the student’s old passport has been lost, damaged or mutilated, it cannot be to prove identity or citizenshp.

Instead, proof of identification (like a driver’s license or other state-issued photo ID) and proof of citizenship (like a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization certificate) are required for passport renewal.



Alison Kroulek is a freelance writer and blogger with a focus on the travel industry.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Call Now Button
Follow by Email