Latest Renew Passport News

'Renew your passport on time'
Abu Dhabi: The General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs in Abu Dhabi, in cooperation with the Department of Naturalisation in Abu Dhabi, launched an initiative on Monday under the name 'Remember' which urges citizens and residents to …
Read more on Gulf Today

Chaos, corruption rock passport offices

Chaos, corruption rock passport offices
Mudede also triumphantly announced Zimbabweans wishing to apply for passports could download application forms on the Internet, fill them in online before submitting them at the passport office for a US$ 3 fee. However, the forms have proved impossible …
Read more on Zimbabwe Independent

Passport Pangs : Service or torture?
We filled the forms again in January. Police verification happened in February for the second time. Again, nothing happened. Then in April, the passport helpline told us that police verification report hadn't reached from the Noida police station. We …
Read more on Times of India

US Passport Renewal

Compared to getting a new passport, renewing an expiring passport is a relatively simple affair. However, since it’s not something you have to do often, it’s common to have questions about the process. When it comes to getting a US passport renewal, here are some of the most common questions people ask, along with clear, easy-to-understand answers.


When Should I Apply for My US Passport Renewal?


Passports issued to adults over the age of 16 are valid for 10 years. According to the State Department, the best time to renew your passport is about nine months before it expires. That may seem like overkill; after all, nine months is the better part of a year, and shouldn’t you get the ten years you paid for?


However, if you travel overseas with any frequency at all, it’s a good idea to follow the Department of State’s advice. Many countries won’t allow you to enter if your passport has less than 6 months to go before it expires, and applying for your US passport renewal nine months beforehand allows plenty of time to get the new passport issued before you start to run up against that six month limit.


Where Do I Renew My Passport?


Most people are eligible for US passport renewal by mail. You can renew by mail as long as all of the following statements are applicable to you:


Your current US passport is still in your possession and has not been lost or stolen.

Your current passport is in good condition.

Your current passport was issued after you turned 16.

It has been less than 15 years since the passport was issued.

If your name has changed since your last passport was issued, you are able to send legal documents that support your name change request.

What Documents Do I Need?


To apply for a passport renewal by mail, you’ll need to send the following documents to the Department of State:


A completed copy of renewal application form DS-82

Your current passport

One passport photo

Where applicable, legal documents such as a marriage certificate or a divorce decree to back up any name change requests.

Money to pay the fees.


How Much Will It Cost?


If you’re applying for only the standard passport book, you’ll pay an application fee of $ 110.

At just $ 30, the passport card may seem like a bargain, but keep in mind that you can’t use it for international air travel at all. It can only be used for land and sea travel to the following regions: Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. If you want both a passport book and a passport card, you’ll pay $ 140.


How Long Will it Take?


Processing times vary seasonally depending on the Department of State’s workload. However, it usually takes about 6 weeks for a US passport renewal request to be completed. You can apply for expedited service by paying a $ 60 expedite fee in addition to your application fee and writing “Expedite” on the envelope. Expedited applications are generally processed within three weeks. For emergency passport renewals, you can make an appointment at one of 25 regional passport agency offices across the country by calling 1-800-209-4565.


Alison Kroulek is a freelance writer and blogger with a focus on the travel industry.

Related How To Renew My Passport Articles

Latest Apply For A Passport Online News

Brand New Passport
apply for a passport online
Image by liquene

I was blocked at the airport. My passport type was OK for the Visa Waiver Program if its date was before 2005. Mine was issued in 2002 so I thought it was OK. But. But it was renewed in 2007, so it is not valid and I would have needed a Visa (please note: I did everything online two months ago, I gave my passport number and I was approved). I came back to Florence from Bologna and got an electronic passport (requested with urgency). I applied again online for the Visa Waiver Program and I was approved. Now I’m going back to Bologna Airport hoping to be able to fly as soon as possible…

How to Expedite Your US Passport Application




Have you been thinking of renewing your passport? Or perhaps you lost or misplaced it somewhere? If you are planning to travel outside the US, having this document in place would save you much hassle. Nowadays the document is a prerequisite for children too, even if they are traveling with their parents. So, if you have a family trip planned to an international location, choose convenient passport application processes. The US Department of State has officially appointed some agencies to expedite the process. Whether it comes to fresh applications, lost or stolen passports, or renewal, these agencies can help you with anything related to passports.

If the date for the international trip is too close, go for agencies that offer same day services for your application, among their other services. Look for websites of authorized agencies that expedite US passport applications. Whatever your passport-related requirement, be it for a child, services for damaged passports, or renewing them, choose the service you want on the website of the agency. With electronic facilities to simplify every step, getting your application approved is simply a matter of filling up relevant information and having the appropriate documents in place. You can place an order electronically or send your application via Fed Ex. With guaranteed passport issue in as little as a day, you not have to worry about any complications.

The best part about these agencies is they can resolve any issue you may have with the process of applications. You can choose live chat service on the website of such agencies and get all your passport-related queries answered.

Missing or stolen passports, renewing them, applying for a fresh one, whatever your requirement, the agencies are up to the challenge of delivering, even at a day’s notice. Not only same day service, you can choose a period of upto 8-10 business days for delivery. Whichever the period you choose, these agencies guarantee to delive right at home.

With a wide network of contacts in different international locations, authorized agencies know all about the updated rules and regulations for travel. When they process your application they make sure that it follows the latest US rules for traveling to that location. With the passport made out according to the updated rules and procedures, you always travel with a secure mind.

The next time you have an international trip planned, choose an official route to get your US passport application approved quickly.

If you find the above article helpful, and want to know more about US passport application, you can take advantage of

How to Get a Passport Fast

Most travel experts recommend that you apply for a passport months before you actually plan to leave the country. However, life can be unpredictable, and there are a variety of circumstances that can leave you scrambling at the last minute to get a passport, fast. When you apply for a passport, it normally takes the State Department at least six weeks to receive your application, evaluate it, process it and send the new passport back to you. If you can’t wait that long, follow one of the procedures outlined below to get your passport more quickly.


Expedited Passport Processing


If you still have more than two weeks before you’re scheduled to leave the country, applying for expedited passport processing through the Department of State is an option. On top of the normal application fees, you’ll pay an additional $ 60 expedite fee to the State Department. To ensure you get your passport in time, the State Department recommends that you spring for overnight service to and from the passport office. The cost for overnight service to the passport office will depend on whether you use the post office or another carrier, and the cost from the passport office is $ 12.72.


If you apply for expedited service with overnight shipping, you should get your passport within 3 weeks, though the actual processing time may be shorter or longer depending on how many applications the Department of State has to go through at any given moment.


Applying at a Passport Agency


If you plan to leave the country within two weeks and you don’t have a passport, you can make an appointment at a regional Passport Agency office by calling 1-877-487-2778.

You are also eligible to make an appointment if you are traveling within 3 weeks to a country that requires American citizens to apply for a visa in advance. As long as you have all of your paperwork in order, you should be able to get your passport fast, usually within 24 hours of your appointment. Along with the other required fees, the $ 60 expedite fee will apply.


However, there’s a catch: there are only 24 of these passport offices in the entire US, mostly in major metropolitan areas. So, visiting a passport agency may require a long drive or even a plane trip.


Using a Private Passport Expediting Company


If traveling to a passport agency isn’t feasible or seems like too much of a hassle, you can pay a company to do it for you. If you need to apply for your new passport in person, all you have to do is go to the post office (or another passport acceptance facility), fill out the application and get your documents “sealed” by the passport agent. Then, send them to the expediting company and the company will dispatch an employee to take them to the Department of State for you. Convenience will cost you, though – in addition to the standard government fees and the $ 60 expedite fee, you’ll have to pay the expediting company, too.


Alison Kroulek is a freelance writer and blogger with a focus on the travel industry.

More Get A Passport Fast Articles

Latest Expired Passport News

Passport shots
expired passport
Image by Dimmerswitch
I need to renew my passport ahead of a planned trip to Japan this fall.

Part of the process is sending in your expired passport, and I was struck by the changes in the past 12 years.

The guy on the left was also already married to Molly, though – which is pretty cool.

What to Do if Your Passport is Expired – CruiseMates
For this reason, a valid passport is ALWAYS your best identification for any travel overseas. Not only will it get you on any cruise but it will also allow you to fly overseas or fly home in the middle of the cruise if you have an emergency. We always …
Read more on CruiseMates Cruise Guide

The Desk: International travelers hit Passport Zone when it comes to
portland international airport.JPG View full size A Southeast Portland woman arrived at Portland International Airport last week for a trip to The Philippines with a passport that expires on Oct. 8. She wasn't allowed to fly. Turns out, a number of …

An unnecessary DACA filing (and denial)
She has her arrival/departure record (I ‑ 94), which is the little white postcard stapled in a person's passport upon arrival, which clearly shows that she arrived on June 24, 2007. Even if she tried to lie, and say that she “lost” her I-94, DHS still …
Read more on Philippine Star

Latest Chicago Passport Agency News

This Day, May 4, In Jewish History by Mitchell A. Levin
1890: It was reported today that Russia is preparing to adopt more stringent passport regulations, requiring that the documents of all those entering the country must show their religion. Anyone who does not show a religion will be registered as a Jew …
Read more on Cleveland Jewish News (blog)

Italy race problems seen with black gov't minister
The issue has vexed Italy for years and previous center-left governments have failed to change the law even though most Italians — 72 percent according to a 2012 Istat-aided study — favor it. It's not just a matter of a passport but has real impact …
Read more on Chicago Sun-Times