The Passport Office has re-opened its doors to our Atlanta passport office. Our office space may be new, but our services’ expert level of care, quality, and efficiency remain the same.

So, you’re considering booking an appointment at our Atlanta passport office.  What do you bring to your appointment? To ease your mind, we’ll list the five critical items/documentation you should be prepared with before your appointment. 

If you would like to schedule an appointment at our Atlanta location or ask any questions before visiting, please call the office at 404-889-8670. We allow walk-ins!

Gather These Documents Before Your Appointment at the Atlanta Passport Office

If you’re expediting your new passport with the Passport Office, we want to make the process as quick and painless as possible. These five items will ensure a successful application: Proof of citizenship, proof of identity, proof of travel, a passport photo, and the appropriate passport application. There are a few rules and exceptions for some of these documents that we’ll cover in this blog to help you prepare. 

But first, you should decide if you need a New Passport or, instead, a passport renewal. The type of passport you need will affect the application and documentation that is required of you. 

For a New passport Application, you will use Form DS-11. You will apply for a new passport if you meet at least one of the following requirements

  • You are a minor ( in this case 16 years or younger)
  • This will be your first U.S. Passport
  • Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16
  • The previous passport has been lost, damaged, or stolen
  • Your last passport was issued more than 15 years ago

If you don’t meet at least one of the requirements for a new passport applicant, you may be eligible for a passport renewal instead. In this case, you will apply for a passport renewal using Form DS-82.

Bring Your Completed Passport Application 

For New Passport, or Child Passport Application, you will use form DS-11.

  • You may use the U.S. Department of State Online Form Filler.
  • Complete online, and then print. 
  • Do not sign your application. Those applying for a new passport need to get their identity verified by a passport agent before the application is signed. 

For Passport Renewal applications, you will use Form DS-82.

  •  Again you use this official government form filler.
  • Complete online, then print.
  • You will sign your application before your appointment if you are applying for a passport renewal. 


For new passport applications:

You will be required to provide proof that you are a U.S. citizen. your old U.S. passport, would be great. If not, a government-issued birth certificate certified by the state you were born in is expected. If you were born outside of the United States, you could submit a naturalization certificate or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.


For New Passport applications:

Again, you can use your old passport to establish your identity. If you do not have one, you can use any other primary form of identification, such as your State issued driver’s license or identification card, valid military ID, naturalization certificate, or citizenship certificate. You must provide a photocopy of your proof of identity.

According to the state department, photocopies must be:

  • Legible (not blurry, faded, or pixelated)
  • Single Sides
  • On white 8.5” by 11” paper
  • Black and white

Passport Photo

Both new passport and passport renewal applicants must submit one passport photo that meets the U.S. Department of State’s requirements for a passport photo. If you are applying in person and don’t have a passport photo, we can take the photo for you at or Atlanta Passport office. Taking your passport photo with us ensures that it meets all of the requirements, so your application won’t get denied. 

The Basic Requirements of a Passport Photo

  • Your passport photo must have been taken within the last six months
  • The dimensions must be in a 2” X2” format
  • Print your passport photo on glossy or matt paper
  • The photo must be printed in color
  • The background of your photo must be plain, white, or off-white.
  • Do not digitally alter any part of your photo

Other Passport Photo tips include:

  • Make sure there are no shadows on or behind your face. 
  • Do not wear any eye-wear, such as glasses or sunglass.
  • Any hats or headgear are not allowed, unless for a medical or religious reason.
  • Stick to natural makeup– you want to look like yourself.
  • You must be completely facing forward in your passport photo
  • Do not smile in your passport picture

Proof of Travel

For all passport applications that require expediting:

To process your expedited passport, the government requires you to provide proof of intent to travel outside the country. You will have to be at least 30 days for some services or 14 days away from travel to have your passport expedited. 

Proof of travel includes

  • Purchased airline ticket
  • Travel itinerary
  • International cruise ticket confirmation
  • Copy of reservations for your lodging
  • A business letter on your compay letterhead

If You Need a Name Change

You may want to update your name on your passport renewal. If you need a name change you will need to provide the following:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Divroce Decree
  • Court ordered name change with documentation 

Unfortunately, if you cannot provide a marriage certificate or divorce decree, you will have to apply for a new passport instead of a Renewal. The main reason is that you’ll need to get your identity re-verified. 

To do so, you would actually need Form DS-60: Affidavit Regarding a Change of Name. The Form must be completed by at least two people that have known you by both names. You must also submit at least three certified public records proving your name has been used for five or more years. 

What if I’m Applying For a Child Passport? 

Child Passports are considered new but last for five years instead of 10. So, you’ll need to use Form DS-11 for a Child Application. You will need to include a few more things with the application, including proof of your parental identity, i.e., certified birth certificates, adoption decrees, or other court orders. Both guardians/parents are also required to be present with the child at the appointment. 

Should both of the child’s parents not be planning to travel with them overseas, the custodial parent must submit either documentation that they’ve been awarded sole custody or guardianship or obtain from their child’s other parent a statement of consent (Form DS-3053) granting that parent permission to apply for a passport for the child.

Expedite your passport at our Atlanta Passport Office: 

There’s us, The Passport Office if you need your passport rushed. With our fastest processing speed, you’ll be able to get your passport in as little as three days. We’ve been in the passport business for decades, so you’re in good hands at our Atlanta Passport Office!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Powered by Yahoo! Answers

Call Now Button
Follow by Email