Portland post offices now offer passport services by appointment only

Portland post offices now offer passport services by appointment only
"Our Portland locations offer customers convenient one-stop shopping for passports, passport photos and passport cards," said Portland Postmaster Shawneen Betha in a news release. She recommends travelers apply for a passport or passport card at least …
Read more on The Oregonian – OregonLive.com

Check your visa status
Raheel Mirza. Check the status of your visa at https://ceac.state.gov/CEAC/ and if the status shows 'issued', log onto: www.ustraveldocs.com/in/in-loc-passportcollection.asp for passport collection locations and timings. My current F1 visa is valid …
Read more on The Hindu

Rescinding passport only helps my case, says fugitive sex blogger

Rescinding passport only helps my case, says fugitive sex blogger
They may possibly secure an Emergency Certificate from the Malaysian embassies in the US and Sweden, which will allow them to return to Malaysia where they can appeal the cancellation of their passports, although it is likely both will face arrest for …
Read more on Malay Mail Online

Unbelievable: We Are Like This Only

Unbelievable: We Are Like This Only
I learn that he overcame the handicap of being dead and obtained a passport to attend the Harvard ceremony, but the US government refused him entry. Let me quote from a New York Times report on his story. It is written so well it could have been …
Read more on The New Indian Express

Don't trust bumbling public officials and opt out of this NHS data disaster
The great passport computer fiasco this year meant thousands were inconvenienced. Surely we all recall the Department of Work and Pensions computer discs containing all the private details of everyone claiming child benefit, including their National …
Read more on Express.co.uk

Getting an Emergency Passport for a Child with Only One Parent

In order to minimize the risk of international child abductions, the Department of State requires that children under the age of 16 must have the consent of both parents in order to be issued a passport. Also, adults applying for a passport on behalf of a child under the age of 16 must be able to prove that either the child is theirs or that they are otherwise authorized to apply for the passport.


It may seem absurd to have to prove your relationship to your own flesh and blood, but you won’t be able to get a passport without doing so. Here are the documents that the Department of State will accept:


Your child’s birth certificate listing you as the parent. If your child was born overseas and the document is not in English, you’ll also need a translation.

A Consular Report of Birth Abroad, again listing you as a parent.

An adoption decree listing you as the adopting parent

A court order establishing that you have custody or guardianship of the child.


The easiest way to demonstrate that both parents consent is for both parents to accompany the child to apply for a passport. However, in today’s world, that often isn’t possible, especially if the family is applying for an emergency passport. The following documents will help you demonstrate that both parents have consented to the emergency passport being issued:


A notarized Statement of Consent Form DS-3053 signed by the other parent.

A certified birth certificate or Consular Report of Birth Abroad that shows only the name of the parent applying for the passport.

A court order awarding the applying parent with sole custody.

Adoption decree that only has the applying parent’s name on it.

A court order permitting travel

Legal proof that the other parent is either deceased or has been declared legally incompetent.

If you can’t reach the other parent to get any of the documents listed above, submit Form DS-3053 explaining why you cannot provide evidence of consent from the other parent.


Alison Kroulek is a freelance writer and blogger with a focus on the travel industry.