US Passport Renewal

Compared to getting a new passport, renewing an expiring passport is a relatively simple affair. However, since it’s not something you have to do often, it’s common to have questions about the process. When it comes to getting a US passport renewal, here are some of the most common questions people ask, along with clear, easy-to-understand answers.


When Should I Apply for My US Passport Renewal?


Passports issued to adults over the age of 16 are valid for 10 years. According to the State Department, the best time to renew your passport is about nine months before it expires. That may seem like overkill; after all, nine months is the better part of a year, and shouldn’t you get the ten years you paid for?


However, if you travel overseas with any frequency at all, it’s a good idea to follow the Department of State’s advice. Many countries won’t allow you to enter if your passport has less than 6 months to go before it expires, and applying for your US passport renewal nine months beforehand allows plenty of time to get the new passport issued before you start to run up against that six month limit.


Where Do I Renew My Passport?


Most people are eligible for US passport renewal by mail. You can renew by mail as long as all of the following statements are applicable to you:


Your current US passport is still in your possession and has not been lost or stolen.

Your current passport is in good condition.

Your current passport was issued after you turned 16.

It has been less than 15 years since the passport was issued.

If your name has changed since your last passport was issued, you are able to send legal documents that support your name change request.

What Documents Do I Need?


To apply for a passport renewal by mail, you’ll need to send the following documents to the Department of State:


A completed copy of renewal application form DS-82

Your current passport

One passport photo

Where applicable, legal documents such as a marriage certificate or a divorce decree to back up any name change requests.

Money to pay the fees.


How Much Will It Cost?


If you’re applying for only the standard passport book, you’ll pay an application fee of $ 110.

At just $ 30, the passport card may seem like a bargain, but keep in mind that you can’t use it for international air travel at all. It can only be used for land and sea travel to the following regions: Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. If you want both a passport book and a passport card, you’ll pay $ 140.


How Long Will it Take?


Processing times vary seasonally depending on the Department of State’s workload. However, it usually takes about 6 weeks for a US passport renewal request to be completed. You can apply for expedited service by paying a $ 60 expedite fee in addition to your application fee and writing “Expedite” on the envelope. Expedited applications are generally processed within three weeks. For emergency passport renewals, you can make an appointment at one of 25 regional passport agency offices across the country by calling 1-800-209-4565.


Alison Kroulek is a freelance writer and blogger with a focus on the travel industry.

Related How To Renew My Passport Articles

How to Expedite Your US Passport Application




Have you been thinking of renewing your passport? Or perhaps you lost or misplaced it somewhere? If you are planning to travel outside the US, having this document in place would save you much hassle. Nowadays the document is a prerequisite for children too, even if they are traveling with their parents. So, if you have a family trip planned to an international location, choose convenient passport application processes. The US Department of State has officially appointed some agencies to expedite the process. Whether it comes to fresh applications, lost or stolen passports, or renewal, these agencies can help you with anything related to passports.

If the date for the international trip is too close, go for agencies that offer same day services for your application, among their other services. Look for websites of authorized agencies that expedite US passport applications. Whatever your passport-related requirement, be it for a child, services for damaged passports, or renewing them, choose the service you want on the website of the agency. With electronic facilities to simplify every step, getting your application approved is simply a matter of filling up relevant information and having the appropriate documents in place. You can place an order electronically or send your application via Fed Ex. With guaranteed passport issue in as little as a day, you not have to worry about any complications.

The best part about these agencies is they can resolve any issue you may have with the process of applications. You can choose live chat service on the website of such agencies and get all your passport-related queries answered.

Missing or stolen passports, renewing them, applying for a fresh one, whatever your requirement, the agencies are up to the challenge of delivering, even at a day’s notice. Not only same day service, you can choose a period of upto 8-10 business days for delivery. Whichever the period you choose, these agencies guarantee to delive right at home.

With a wide network of contacts in different international locations, authorized agencies know all about the updated rules and regulations for travel. When they process your application they make sure that it follows the latest US rules for traveling to that location. With the passport made out according to the updated rules and procedures, you always travel with a secure mind.

The next time you have an international trip planned, choose an official route to get your US passport application approved quickly.

If you find the above article helpful, and want to know more about US passport application, you can take advantage of

New Emergency Passport Office Opens in New York

new york passport agency
by nanaze

Residents of New York state can now choose between two different emergency passport offices: One in New York City and a new office in Buffalo, New York. State officials held a ribbon-cutting ceremony on Monday, October 18th, 2010 to mark the occasion. The new passport office is located at 111 Genesee Street, in Suite 101 of the Genesee Gateway building.


The new office is a Regional Passport Agency office, which means it can issue emergency passports or passport cards, usually within 24 hours. Previously, to get an emergency passport, Buffalo residents would have to make a trip to New York City to visit the passport office there. Demand for passports is up since they became a requirement for travel to Canada in 2009 as part of the final phase of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative.


Regional Passport Agency offices are meant for travelers who need emergency assistance only, so you do have to meet certain qualifications to get an appointment. Basically, you are eligible to use these offices if you need a passport to travel within 2 weeks and you have already booked your tickets. However, you can also use a passport agency office if you are traveling within the next 4 weeks to a country that requires you to apply in advance for a travel visa.


The office operates by appointment only, and walk-ins are not permitted. To make an appointment, call 1-800-209-4565.


You will need to bring a copy of your itinerary to the appointment.

You’ll also need to bring all of the documents necessary to issue your emergency passport, including proof of identity, proof of citizenship and photos.See How to Submit a Passport Application for details. Check when you make an appointment to make sure that your documents are acceptable and that you know what kind of payment options are available at the facility.


Alison Kroulek is a freelance writer and blogger with a focus on the travel industry.

Emergency Passport Appointments


Travel experts recommend that you apply for your passport well in advance of a trip outside the country-months in advance, if possible. However, life doesn’t always go according to plan, and sometimes you need an emergency passport. If you need your passport to travel in 14 days or less, you can call 1-800-209-4565 make an appointment at the nearest Regional Passport Agency Office to have an emergency passport issued.


Of course, the appointment won’t do you any good if you show up without the appropriate documents and paperwork. Here’s what you’ll need to get inside and get your passport:


A copy of your travel itinerary showing that you’ve booked tickets to leave the country in the next 14 days. However, if you need your passport to apply for a travel visa, you can make an appointment and bring an itinerary showing that you plan to leave within 4 weeks instead.

The confirmation number for your appointment

All of the documents you need to get your new passport. If you are applying for a new passport, you’ll need proof of citizenship and proof of identity. See How to Apply for a New Passport for details.

If you’re applying for a passport renewal and you still have your old passport, in most cases you can use your old passport to prove both your identity and your citizenship.

See Passport Renewal for details on what you’ll need to renew your passport. Also, since you are making an appointment at a passport agency, you should not mail in your passport and the renewal application form. Bring both the form and your old passport with you to the appointment.

Whether you’re renewing your passport or applying for a new one, you’ll need to bring two passport photos with you to the appointment.

Regional Passport Agency offices are federal buildings. That means you may have to pass through a medical detector to enter and you must not attempt to bring any weapons.

Be on time-you won’t be allowed in more than 15 minutes before your appointment time or more than 15 minutes after.


Alison Kroulek is a freelance author and blogger with a focus on the travel industry.

American Passport Now. Emergency Passport Services! Same Day Passports and Visas

American Passport Now is one of the leading U.S. Passport services company in the United States. Our U.S. Passport process guarantees Americans first-class s…
Video Rating: 3 / 5

More Emergency Passport Articles

Expedited Passport Forms

When you are requesting an expedited passport, it’s important to be sure that you’re filling out all of the appropriate forms. After all, there’s really no time for a redo. Here’s a rundown of some of the different expedited passport forms that you might encounter:


Expedited Passport Form DS-11


Form DS-11 is an application for a new passport. It is used when you have not previously been issued a passport, or if your existing passport was issued when you were 16 or younger. You must submit form DS-11 in person at a passport acceptance facility or passport agency office, along with proof of identity, proof of citizenship, and 2 passport photos. Don’t sign the form until you are at the acceptance office and the acceptance agent tells you to.


Expedited Passport Form DS-82


Form DS-82 is for people who are eligible to renew their passport by mail. You are eligible for passport renewal by mail so long as your passport is undamaged and in your possession, was issued when you were 16 or older and is less than 15 years old, and you have documentation to support any name change requests. When you mail form DS-82, include your current passport, 2 new passport photos and documents to support any name changes. Don’t forget to sign the form before you send it!


Expedited Passport Form DS-64


Form DS-64 is used in conjunction with Form DS-11 to replace a lost or stolen passport.

This form requests that you provide information about the lost or stolen passport, the circumstances in which it was lost or stolen, and the efforts you made to get it back. This information goes into the Consular Lost or Stolen Passport system, and the passport will be flagged in case someone else tries to use it to get in or out of the country.


Authorization Letter


An authorization letter is used when you are applying for your passport through a private visa expediting company. The letter gives the company permission to meet with the Department of State on your behalf and submit your application.


Alison Kroulek is a freelance writer and blogger with a focus on the travel industry.

Latest Expedited Passport News Now Offers 24 Hour Emergency Passport Service to is a Passport and Visa expediting service. The company specializes in helping their clients secure passports and travel visas quickly. offers full service out of their convenient Philadelphia location. The …
Read more on SBWire (press release)


American Passport

the passport we have been expediting passports since 1992, if you need a passport and need it fast… No time to wait in line, there is a better way, simply log on to follow 3 easy steps and you can get your passport in as little as 24 hours, for business or leisure chose the fast, secured, easy and affordable solution.

Contact us today at 1 (800) 209-4565

How to get US Passport, Passport renewal, Second passport – instructions

us passport agency, us passport forms, applying for a passport, apply for us passport, apply us passport, us passport locations, passport services, us passport information, get a passport fast, us passport application, us passport renewal form, rush passport, application for us passport, us passport form, us passport renewal, passport office nyc, apply for passport, united states passport, how much for a passport, applying for a us passport, how much are passports, expedited passport, passport expedite, obtaining a passport, passport rush, new york passport agency, united states passport renewal, expedite passport, us passport application form, us passport fees, post office passport, renewing a passport, expired passport, express passport, chicago passport agency, us passport services, apply for a passport online, getting a us passport, get us passport, renew us passport, passport renewal form, us passport replacement, united states passport application, us passport office locations, us passport renewal fee, application for a us passport, us passport expedited, getting a passport, passport renewal chicago, passport renewal houston, renewing us passport, update passport, passport renewal nyc, usps passport, how to get us passport, lost passport replacement, passport agency, us passport online, how much is a passport, us postal service passports, passport agency nyc, quick passport, passport application, passport replacement, application for passport, renew passport online, us passport renewals, us government passport, apply for a passport, us post office passport, renew your passport, passport information, us passport cost, getting passport, passport forms, renew passport nyc, how to renew your passport, us postal service passport, renew my passport, passport renewal miami, regional passport agency, passport renewal post office, how to renew my passport, ny passport agency, passport photos, passport renewal, passport cost, renewing passport, renew passport, passport renew, passport renewal fees, get passport, where to get passport, emergency passport, passport renewal boston, passport update, passport agency miami, us passports, us passport requirements, passport locations